Friday, November 10, 2006

Bringing the War Home

Yesterday, one of my co-workers told us that, as Member of the US Marine corp, he will be deployed to Iraq in December of 2007. Tom is a thoughtful man and in view of the changing tide opinion on the reasons and justification for our involvement, he is wondering if he should be asked to put his life on the line.

Excellent question, I'd say. I have never served, so my comments are those of a civilian and a person who generally opposes violence as a solution to any problem.

Yes, Tom you have received pay and training to follow orders and do what your commanding officers feel is the right thing to do to defend the American People and it's borders. It may be, as some feel, that you should keep your concerns to yourself and do as your told, but than again, we only get one life to live and what we give it up for has to mean something.

I don't know how to answer Tom when he asks me, "What are we doing in Iraq?" My opinion is a highly cynical politically motivated conclusion about the corruption of ideals perpetrated by the Bush Administration. I certainly don't believe that America is safer because we are occupying Iraq and it's pretty obvious that the people of Iraq are not a lot better off because of our sacrifice. I know a lot of people made a lot of money. I know that a lot of people feel that they are building a base for democracy in Iraq. I also know that we have not stopped the terrorists in any significant way by fighting in Iraq. Any work we have done in stopping terrorists has occured by working with our allies on a country by country basis. These are often times the same allies who told us not to invade Iraq.

And what about Tom's original question? If Tom does go to Iraq and is killed or permanently disabled, how do we justify that loss. I need help here. I can't think of one good reason to lose Tom like that, but than it might be because I know him and like him. Most Americans don't actually know anyone who is putting their life on the line for us. It's a lot easier to be cavalier when not only the enemy has no face, but also the people who defend are and abstraction.

No comments: