Monday, November 06, 2006

Aging Parents

I visited my mom on Sunday. Mary Jane is a resident of the Franciscan Care & Rehabilitation in Appleton Wisconsin. She lives with extreme dementia. Mom knows who I am. She recognizes other relatives, however it depends how often she sees them and when she knew them.
Mom's world is a foggy one. In it she can be in the past so far that I look more like my dad to her because I'm too old to be her son in the time she imagines she is living in. To her, she is in the hospital and trying to get better so she can move back to her apartment in St Louis Park, Minnesota. The reality is that there is no apartment and she is not ill. In fact she may be in better health than she has been in years. Her weight is good because her diet is controlled. She can't experience more than sniffle without getting excellent attention. Her care is necessitated by her immobility, mental confusion and lack of control of her body functions.
She enjoys socializing with her fellow residents and loves to read. While I am happy that she is well taken care of and she is as happy as she can be, I live with fear for the day when she dosen't know who I am.

No comments: