Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Observations

I'm looking at a hazy sky. the sun is burning off a very light fog. A light breeze wafts in from the west. The day looks to become a wonderful spring like day in Wisconsin. We don't get many like this. In our memory spring is like this, but the record books tell a different story. We get instead days that consist of gray skies, cold damp air and the smell of muddy gardens waiting for the hoe. But today will be one of those idyllic days. It will not be wet and cold like the weatherman said at ten o'clock last night.


Under the category of evaluating a purchase based on will it make my life better, I am looking at out mac computer and thinking that I would love to work for those folks. I could sell this system with no reservations.


I received, in my e-mail, a survey regarding the presidential contest. It rages around us like a storm, but most people are somewhat oblivious to it. I am of the opinion that no one would pay any attention to the contest if the pundits and Washington news corps didn't shove it down our throats. I was surprised at my answers. Maybe it's because ideologically I feel comfortable with one candidate, but wonder about his electability. Normally I wouldn't ponder that except in the normal desire to have my choice vindicated and the want to win. But this time the consequences are so apparent. The stakes are so high.
When I voted for Al Gore and John Kerry, I voted because I didn't like the politics of George Bush. In the last election for president, I felt strongly that Bush was on a wrong and self destructive path. But I also recognized that people that voted for Ralph Nader were expressing their heartfelt belief's and while they certainly facilitated the defeat of Gore, they have their right to do so and should not be criticized for it.
And now I am seriously looking at the candidates that may be fielded by Unity 08.

While we are on the subject of the Iraq war, and if you're talking about President Bush, you're talking about the Iraq war, let me just say that before we talk about losing a war let's talk about what we intended to do in Iraq. We, or more to the point, the President and Congress has never clearly defined what our mission in Iraq is. We waffle around with vague concepts like weapons of mass destruction and a democratic government for Iraq, but in reality all we have done is stirred a nest of bee's.
There can be no losing a war when there was no plan for winning. My impression is that ninety nine percent of the reason for invading Iraq was to get rid of Saddam. If that was the goal, than I agree with President Bush "mission accomplished". Let's go home.

No comments: