Wednesday, May 16, 2007

God Clouds

Maria and I have moved our office to the sun-room. We no longer have to stare at a wall in between our musing and working. No, instead we have the vibrant and interesting view of Downer Avenue and the near east-side Milwaukee skyline.

One of the cinematic tricks of the past was to portray God not as a person but as a voice in a beam of light coming down in a column from a bank of clouds. I call them God clouds. We had one this morning, minus the voice of God. What it seemed to be focusing on is the hospital and condo construction going on in our neighborhood.

Was God telling me that this construction was a good thing? Many of neighbors don't like the construction. Or was he trying to tell me to beware? I don't happen to believe that God tries to tell us anything, so I just enjoyed the natural beauty of such an event. If we had a patio or a balcony I would have tried to photograph it, but alas we don't. Beside that fact, the event is to short lived to react in any other way but to admire it.

I'm learning, some would say it's about time, to enjoy these moments for what they are. Within the capacity of humans and their natural tendency of wonder and curiosity to look at nature and their surroundings, it's hard not to try and explain everything, not attempt to understand each nuance of interaction, but to simply enjoy the thing as it happens.

My personal tendency is to glance and than look for the next thing. Somehow I guess I think the next thing will be better. But in essence I likely miss the subtle and aesthetic best because my curiosity has trumped my wonder. But like I say, I learning

No comments: