Thursday, December 07, 2006

Reading in the Winter

I'm not positive, but I think I read more in the colder months of the year than I do when the weather outside is more pleasant. It would make sense. When it's warmer and the daylight lasts longer there are many other options for my free time. When it's cold, today it is 10 degrees, the temptation to skip the morning walk and cocoon with a novel is often overwhelming. When the tundra is frozen, so to speak, we don't seem to take day trips and go on those excursions that we tend to do when the weather is better.

I have been reading mysteries that are written by authors who are not American. The stories set in Italy are intriguing me at the moment. I just finished a Michael Dibdin. Dibdin has a reoccurring character Aurelio Zen. Zen is cast as the rogue detective who sees his job as the avenging angel. In his personally appointed position of administrator of justice, the law is merely a set of guidelines to be interpreted and tested on a case by case basis. He is comparable to the magnificent Harry Bosch in the Michael Connelly series, Kinsey Milhone in Sue Grafton's excellent Alphabet series or long running champ Spencer from Robert B. Parker's genius mind.

I can't pry myself away from non-fiction, so I usually have one of each going. The political commentary is churning through the system faster than the authors can make the rounds of the talk shows. Yesterdays best seller, have to read is today's old news.

Some things are seemingly forever. I note that one of my early favorites, What Color Is My Parachute, is updated and reissued every year. I used it not to get a new job or to plan my career strategy, but to prospect sales leads and possibilities.

Tom Friedman's, The World I Flat, is been revised for the second time and never seems to leave the best seller list. He may have a franchise.

Everybody wants me to read, Marley and Me, but as long as I have my dog Sadie, I don't need to read a heart warming tale about a man and his dog.

This winter I am looking for new authors. I want to find a new Kite Runner. I want to keep my eye out for fresh talent that keeps getting better with each new book instead of churning out the same old same old with new characters.

No comments: