Sunday, November 25, 2007

Taking Resposbility

I recently participated in an on-line discussion about voting in America. It was live chat concerning many aspects of voting in America, mostly the lack of pticipation. The power of the press to steer the conversation, the dollars of big doners to inordinately influence the outcome and just plain apathy were cited as a few of many reasons Americans don't vote. The responsibility of citizenship and the value of the right to select our leaders were mentioned as reasons we should vote.

(As an aside, we met for one hour each week for four weeks. while we discussed voting the conversation inevitably turned to the Conflict in Iraq.)

What didn't occur to me than and what was not discussed is the responsibility we have to the world as citizens of the world. I and many others have opposed the war in Iraq from day one. I continue to remain opposed to further interference in another sovereign countries business and I certainly remain steadfast in my opposition to expanding the war to Iran. While I can say that I didn't vote for Bush, because I didn't, but that does not give me the right to say that I have no blame in my President's actions. What we have to understand is that we vote for the Leader of the Free World, not just the president of the United States. And what he does affects the lives of people all over th world.

It may make Mr. Bush and his band of true believers feel good that they have exerted death and suffering on some people to bring about vengeance for the World Trade Center Attacks on September 11th, but I have to share in the disgrace and shame of that decision, because I didn't work hard enough to defeat Mr. Bush. I allowed the process to play itself out. It may even be said that if the better candidate did not surface to run against Bush, I was not active enough or smart enough to see that person and work for their election. Sound simplistic and naive? Well if it does it's because we have forgotten that the strength of a democracy lies not only in an educated voter, but an active voter.

Recently, we've heard that the election season is too long. Voters are not tuned in. This season is for the "Wonks" and insiders. What's really happening is that the candidates are choosing teams, the staff and contributors that will support them. They are trying to force the conversation of the election toward an emphasis on issues they think they can win. Trust me a lot will happen between now and the election that can not be predicted, by even the most informed insider, but what is said and how it is perceived is important. Being involved, even it means you're just listening, at this point is important.

Maybe the election cycle is too long, but until it gets shorter a good citizen of this country has to be engaged. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't make a difference. If you don't think it does ask the people of Iraq.

No comments: