Monday, November 05, 2007

Marking a Sad Event

Today I discovered that a women who meant a great deal in my life passed away suddenly. Marsha was first a friend. I met her when I took up with her husband, John, or as the old rascal likes to be called Johnny B. She and John didn't make it and I'll confess I don't know her married name.

Over the years I would hear of Marsha through John and his kids, Sean and Kelly. Marsha was a nurse. She, like so many people like her, practiced nursing not from the "for profit" side of the ledger but from the"what's good for the patient" side. We prefer these people when we are the patients.

I next met Marsha when I checked my mother Mary Jane into Franciscan Care and Rehab. Mother was suffering from Dementia. She couldn't take care of herself. Marsha was one of her nurses. She took care of mom, but as important she took care of me. Marsha made sure that I knew exactly what was going on with mom and what she needed. I always felt like mom was Okay because Marsha was looking out for her.

I know that I was not special. I'm positive that all of Marsha's patients were treated with the same care and concern I'm just saying that making the difficult decision to put my mom in someone else's care was made easier knowing that someone was Marsha.

No comments: