Thursday, March 22, 2007

Slow Movie Season

You only have to look at the listings of films being shown at your local theaters to know that we have hit that part of the season I call the slow season. In late winter and early spring, film makers are releasing films that are going to appeal to the teen and date night crowd. I know your thinking, isn't that's the only audience that Hollywood thinks about and you not far wrong. But timing is everything concerning a movie release.

If you, as a producer, think your film has "Oscar" potential, releasing the film in late fall to December is almost mandatory. Academy voters seem to be loyal to the last thing they see. Remember all of the buzz about "Sideways", the wonderful buddy film that was staged in Napa
Valley wine country. It was hot for a long time, but was released to early to sustain the enthusiasm.

Movies that are shown on two screens on the last week of December and than are the subject of intense promotion have a better chance of winning, because of the out of sight, out mind flavor of the week mentality of a the majority of Academy voters.

When we get past the early spring drought, we are subjected to the battle for box office. We are talking about the season in which the majority of movie tickets are purchased. Films that are released during this time must have broad appeal. They are for the most part films that can be categorised as heavy budget, star leaden, and blockbuster. I have to confess that normally I do not see these films. Call me a snob, but I don't find over acted, extravagant special affected, and over hyped blockbusters entertaining.

Fortunately for me, I live in a neighborhood that supports theaters that feature independent films. Not all of these films are worth seeing, but I find that when I am disappointed in films like this, it is for reasons of effort rather than content.

Consider the film "The Italian". This Russian film about an orphan who takes great risks, including the opportunity to be adopted by a nice Italian couple, to find his mother. The film was good only because the little fellow that played the orphan was irresistible. On balance, other aspects of the film were okay, but this was not one of these films that would make my top ten list. However when I compare it to comparable film from Hollywood, the Home Alone saga comes to mind, I am inclined to inch the Russian film up in my evaluation.

The slow season extends than, only to the mall palaces. Our boutique movie houses will still provide challenging and exciting films

No comments: