Wednesday, February 21, 2007

After the Fact

Maybe it was because both my wife and I got sick in the middle of the task, but I'm glad we turned the grand kids back to their parents Tuesday morning. Stacy and Dan dropped the kids at our place in Milwaukee on Thursday of last week. The next day I came home from work at noon, went to bed and didn't get up until Saturday morning. I was running at about fifty percent went Mi Mi went down for the count at noon on Saturday.
Fortunately for us Ryan and Kim, our son and his girlfriend, were visiting. They helped throughout the day and I probably got my meter up to 60 before they left and more importantly they had wore out the kids to the point that they were far more manageable. On Sunday, we migrated back to Appleton. Eli had school on Monday
The next two days were a blur of juice, cereal, peanut butter and toasted waffles. These things I provided the kids while a pile of toys with millions of parts came out of the closets and drawers.
I was a guest in a make believe restaurant. I played games I had never heard of before, with rules that were in all cases made up as the game progressed.
Finally, they were safe in bed on Monday night. I was able to sit and contemplate. Yes, I was still not one hundred percent and as I write this on Thursday I have away to go, but the effort to keep up with those kids took it's measure also. It was job well done, but thank God it's over.

No comments: