Thursday, September 20, 2007

Time slips through the glass.

If time were unlimited, I could get all I want to get done before...well let's just say before I can't do anything anymore. Of course time isn't everything. The physical ability to perform some tasks is another asset that diminishes with time. I don't have the same dreams for my golf game I once had and walking distances for health reasons is important, but not running.

The clock that bothers me is not so much the one on my wrist but the time lapse my mind tells me has occured. It's been many years since I raced our sailboat. I have three kids that are over forty. Those cuddly little grand kids, I marveled at, it seems like yesterday, are starting school.

I may never get a novel published. It's probable that my blog will never be widely read, but in my heart of hearts, I will be content because I wrote and only mildly disappointed that they are not on reader's shelves.

What I need to do and will never have enough time to do is learn more. I've always
been a scatter brain when it comes to education. I never concentrated enough in one area to be an expert. Instead I wander from this to that realizing that my excitement today will cool, but there will be some unknown in another area that will trigger by curiosity and pull me away from today's must-know. I think you might say that my mind is like the attic of a world traveler, eclectic and yet interesting.

Not only are there remnants of skills there, I've tried oil painting, photography, writing, design, and computer programs of many different kinds. There are thought journeys also. I became somewhat conservative for a few years before I realized the folly in all of that and returned to my liberal roots. I looked at, but did not embrace, atheism, reincarnation, and eastern religions in general. (I still do practice meditation).

After all of the books, films, lectures and classes, I still have not had enough. The only thing that saves my sanity from all of this is that I'm old enough to realize that I never would have had enough time even if I had realized in my youth the value of time.

No comments: