Saturday, August 04, 2007

Passing of A Close Friend

When you lose someone you've spent the better part of ten years with, it's a profound loss. She saw me at my best. She saw me at my worst. Hell, she saw me naked and was often curious about my elimination processes. I'm sure she wondered why I didn't have to go out in the yard like she did.

Sadie, our "Golden" was ten years old, but acted like a puppy pretty much until the cancer in her stomach exhibited itself. She was frisky and immature right up until the day she stopped eating. Which except for the not eating part is pretty much a mirror of my activity level. Maybe that is why we got along so well, kindred spirits.

It seems like just a short time ago, Maria told me that she and the kids went out to a home west of Appleton to pick her out. Maria knew she wanted a female. The lady told her that she best bring a collar so they could assure Maria that we got the dog she and the boys would pick out, because the pups were to young to leave "mom" at that point, but the puppies were being spoken for quickly.

Some people like puppies but tire of raising a dog. Sadie would be perfect. She was off the wall hyper from the day we brought her home. She loved Maria, me and the boys equally. Later she spread her affection to Dan, Stacy, Grace and Eli. When we moved to Milwaukee, she embraced everyone in our building.

I know everyone speaks well of the dead, but in this case Sadie earned our sorrow at her departure. I will particularly miss her when I complain about the redheaded bitch. Everyone will now know I'm not referring to the dog

No comments: