Monday, July 09, 2007

Vacation Over

I just got back from a weeks visit with my son's family in Seattle. Aside from the mind boggling concept of having to fly from Milwaukee to Detroit in order to get to Seattle, I have to say our flights were uneventful, and I consider that a compliment.

Seattle, as a city, has enough attractions by itself is reason enough to visit, but the attraction of spending extended time with my grand daughters is reason enough to visit. Devon, eight, is a wonderfully smart and imaginative child who is both athletic and intellectual. She had just returned from soccer camp and her favorite thing was to get "Poppa" off of his butt from the lounge chair on the patio to throw wiffle balls for her to hit with a plastic bat. We'd start with seven of balls and usually end up having to hunt down two or three of them from behind the neighbors fence.

Abbot is six. I predict she will be the first Jordan to win an Oscar, Emmy or Tony Award. She is a natural mugger and simply loves to make people laugh. She amused me with her running commentary during our viewing of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" In one scene, Ferris disguised as his girl friends father picks her up from school so she can join him on a skip day. After she runs down the stairs to greet him she gives him a kiss. Abbott remarked that she wasn't kissing him like a Daddy.

Grand kids
are the best thing that happen to you after you raise your own kids. they are a new promise of hope and a fresh start on the whole continuum, excuse me but, "the circle of life", as the Disney folks say. I am hugely proud of all of our kids and what they are accomplishing with their lives, but equally inspiring is the promise of these young ones. To be subjected to a solid week of them is to only feel the loss of their companionship when we returned home. I wish I had someone to pitch a wiffle ball for.

No comments: