Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sitting by the Sea

Some of us are water people. I have heard it explained that man's attraction to water is rooted in the fact that at one time we were living in it before we evolved into the beings we are now. Kind of like my need to visit Ireland, the land of my ancestors. Others claim that our need for water in order to survive is the basis for or need to have it close by

I don't know what the real reason for the affection is but I'm hooked. We live about three blocks from Lake Michigan. Aside from the fact that we have a late summer algae problem that makes swimming disagreeable, Lake Michigan is an inspiring body of water. I've boated across her a couple of times and I can vouch for her temperament and demeanor. For the most part she is calm, cool and easy to get along with, but she can have her moments.

Looking out of the water is one of those activities that can reduce your significance in your own mind. Looking at stars at night can make us realize that in the scheme of things, individually we don't amount to much. Gazing out into the expanse of Lake Michigan can give you the same feeling. You sit for a while and watch an approaching boat. As it grows bigger you realize how large it appears on the shore and how small and frail it appears on the horizon.

In the last few days, I've had a lot on my mind. I found myself sitting by the lake and just contemplating my situation, my life. It wasn't that there were any answers on the waves that washed the sand beach, but somehow the important issues surfaced in my mind.

I guess it would pay to take a moment on a regular basis to sit by the water, realize that my problems are comparatively small and the like water, life gets more chaotic when the winds blow fierce, but just like the issues in our lives, they always abate sooner or later.

No comments: