Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Aging Gracefully

I've never tried to hide my age. I'm not ashamed to be sixty six years old. I do miss the days when people would say that I appeared younger, but that was when I was overweight. Evidently fat stretches the wrinkles. I don't mind getting older and I try not to act in ways that older people have that irritates and alienate younger folks.

The entitlement attitude is probably the thing that ticks people off the most. Like a lot of men my age, I'm old school on things like letting women have my seat on a bus etc, but older people who expects special treatment just because they are old are frustrating. Hogging the aisle at the grocery store, driving on the middle of a two lane road and barging ahead in lines are all fairly typical instances of grey hair entitlement issues. The get out of my way, can't you see I'm old attitude is not uncommon.

Most of this comes from and attitude that is really a defense for incompetence. They hog the aisles in the store because they are using the cart as a walker to hide their inability to walk distances without it. They drive in the middle of the road because they can't see. Seniors barge into lines because they are in a rush to sit down to rest or they have to get to a bathroom. And sadly some of it because they think they deserve special treatment. They seem to think if they smile and tell you that you should give up your place in the line it's expected you will and if you don't you lack respect for the elderly.

Of course, all elderly people do not act this way. and as usual, the few wreck the image of the elderly for the many, but that is not the point here. What most older people hate about getting old is the loss of the ability to do things they used to do. Rather than admit we can't do something, we either try to do it and look ridiculous or we insist that someone does it for us with the attitude that we deserve the attention or service. We are owed the special treatment.
As you would expect men are worse than women, but what can be real amusing is women trying to play the I'm old and I'm sexy cards at the same time.

"Why Camille, I'll bet this nice, young, handsome man would love to carry these things out to are car. Wouldn't you?"This with her head cocked, face smiling wide and her eyes fluttering like she's in a dust storm with her hand lightly resting on my forearm.

Of course I'm not young, long past being handsome, if I ever was and I wouldn't love to haul her packages, but I will if it's obvious she needs help. All she really has to do is admit she can't handle it and ask please.

But somehow that is admitting something we don't like to admit even when we are young and able bodied, we need help. For some reason as we get older it becomes harder. Maybe admitting that we are older and less able to do for our selves is frightening. Maybe it's pride. Whatever it is the manifestation's are flat out irritating.

No comments: