Sunday, June 24, 2007

Lifestyle Vs. Style

Can you live in your house if you're expecting Cottage Living magazine to visit any minute?

My wife, as reported in my blog entitled "Hunks with Hammers", is a big fan of remake and remodel programs on the cable. If you watch enough of these programs, particularly the ones that help the client stage their home for sale, you learn that having your house look good for buyers is not the same as it will look if you actually live in it. Example? Look at your house before a formal dinner party and than the way it looks after the party is over.
So what is acceptable is in the eye's of the resident is the standard. In our case, my vote doesn't count, ever.

I do agree that beds should be made. But our viewpoint is divergent on the issue. My wife learned how to make a bed from her father. The former navy veteran taught her the "bounce a quarter" style that the military is famous for. And I might point out that if you're five four and sleeping in a king sized bed tucking the sheets in at the bottom of the bed is fine. However, if your over six feet and your feet are being confined to the narrow pocket formed at the juncture of the sheets and the turn of the mattress, this is not so good. I learned to make beds from Martha Stewart. She maintains that you shouldn't tuck in any of the sheets or blankets except the bottom one.

My wife, Maria, has a fashion sense that is light years beyond me, but to me life style is as important as style. I need a lamp that gives me enough light to read by. She is does not. Her younger eyes and lack of cataracts allow her to read by the light of a candle. She does not like my high intensity floor lamp, because it doesn't fit our decor. Evidently if you put a dress on a pig it still pretty much looks like a pig.

My friend John Brownson framed for me a commemorative to legendary Green Bay Packer Quarterback, Brett Farve. My wife hates professional sports and in particular football. This piece, no matter how well it's crafted, will not hang on our walls. Fortunately we both agree on the numerous paintings we have purchased form our friend Len Nagler.

Maria has a reputation for her interest in housing and home decorating that is in unassailable. She has suburb taste and an excellent eye. she sees potential were others are thinking of writing the building off.

Where we differ is, when looking at a property or a decor, I think of what my life would be like if I lived in the neighborhood or how that room would work in my daily life. This is not Maria's first thought. She is looking at putting the thing together and making it a masterpiece. Maybe this difference is why all of the things I brought when we put our households together is been sold at a rummage sale or is in storage

No comments: